Sunday, July 23, 2006

Its not PMS...

5 partition films in 3 days -a chocolate binge for the last 2 days.-and finally breaking down and shutting myself yesterday-its not PMS.

Taking stock one by one-As part of the film appreciation course I saw Khamosh Paani,Pinjar,1947 Earth,Train to Pakistan and Meghe Dhake Tara(Ritwik Ghatak).The last one,left me weeping, rather howling inconsolably.I ran for about 4 kilometeres straight after watching Meghe Dhaake Tara.It was metaphorical.I dunno what was I running away from.Needless to say it is a brilliant film, but too depressing after four gory movies already.

Chocolate means more to me than just a confectionary item.It is beyond the popular interpretations like an expression of love.A small gift or a token of friendship or a bribe .It helps me connect to myself.Its my source of caffeine after I gave up coffee.
Chocolate to me is a life saving medicine.It never lets me down.I am the person the Hershey's ,Cadbury's and the Lindt's of the world target. I give them market share and revenues,coming to think about it ,this can boil down to a very strong consumer insight-"The Connection Between Chocolate and Women"(a potential thesis topic?).Or " Cocoa and its Stress Alleviating Effects"
Thanks to some of my loving friends who make it a point to buy me a bar everytime they go out, I never run out of stock.Then I borrowed a bar from Parul.When I went to Adi's room yesterday he offered me a bar of Snickers,and Karishma the sweetheart that she is shared with me her chest of homemade gourmet chocolate(sigh).The other day I had bought Bhatta a bag of goodies form Upper Crust, and being the cheapo that I am I had most of it myself on the pretext that as of now he's not well ,and that I'll buy him more once he gets better. Its not just plain chocolate that I am enslaved by,it surely comes in various garbs,so I had a pack of chocolate chip biscuits as a grand finale,and also the sandesh (well its not relevant in this discussion,but is still a sweet),that Chulbul got from Calcutta yesterday.No its not the social pressures to eat that I succumb to .Its just that I have an incorrigible sweet tooth and that the predilection for anything sweet cuts across categories.And that, more than anything else it might just be a coping mechanism.

But its not as if I don't have preferences,for example,I fail to understand how can people like After Eight,I simply cannot fathom how can chocolate and mint be a combination.And why is white chocolate(Milky Bar and its foreign cousins) even classified in that category.In my opinion it is an outcast.
Except for the aforementioned categories I am incapable of hating chocolate per se.But if you really wanna know what i dig into, then its got to be a huge bar of Lindt Swiss Milk Hazelnut ,or for that matter a pack of Hershey's Kisses which comes in handy if I want to wash away my blues.
Chocolate is made from tropical cacao tree, Theobroma cacao, which was native to Central America and Mexico, discovered by ancient Mayas and Aztecs. The beans have an intensely flavoured bitter taste. The resulting products are known as "chocolate" or, in some parts of the world, cocoa.
Theobroma is Greek for "food of the gods".
All through these ages, adjectives such as tempting,alluring and irresistible have been associated with chocolate,it is also said to be an aphrodisiac.
In my case it is the "feel-good" aspect,the serotonin that does it.Another feeling associate with going on a chocolate eating spree is the guilt that ensues.Its like commiting a sweet sin,which you would invariably regret later.It nullifies the effect of the 4 km of jogging and crunches that I religiously squeeze out time to do every day.
But I don't mind being a glutton once in while,'coz I trust it,and it understands my mood swings better than any specimen of the human species.And for once, I want to thank the Mayas and the Aztecs for giving it to the world.Thank you all.

1 Comments:

At 11:42 pm , Blogger meghna said...

Sandraa...you had sinned yesterday by offering me the TGB chocolate truffle...do you realise that..?

and naaah..Ferrero Rocher is too standard mushy-coochie-pie chocolate for connoiseurs like me...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home